Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Bakes

For the past few weeks, I’ve revived my passion for baking, all thanks to SMH forum with a group of mummies who are enthusiasts in baking & cooking!


The History
Before the girls came along, I have regular meet-ups with ex-colleagues where we would do baking and cooking stuff. We tried things from making soon-kueh to sushi and mee-siam. On my own, I would bake cakes, chicken & mushroom tarts and biscuits. Edy’s all-time favorite is my American Cheesecake and biscuits! (Well, simply because he has a sweet tooth!)
Just recalled that we attempted to do our own cake and decoration for Vivian’s wedding (Edy’s 2nd sister)! Using the concept of marzipan, we did many trial rounds but decided to give up as we were just too inexperienced to shape it nicely then.
Soon after, Bella came along and I can only manage to bake my favorite American Cheesecake for certain occasions and it’s still very well-liked by Edy’s family. Now, with 2 girls, I barely have time to do proper baking!
Now and Future?
I’ve always like to cook and bake, not so much for the food itself and I definitely don’t enjoy the washing up but it’s the end product that keeps me interested. With the SMH forum, I’ve definitely re-ignited this interest and have started my bakes!
I started off making muffins using pre-mix (ok, I know it’s cheating, but I just wanted to bake muffins!). Bought all my muffin cups and ingredients and did it effortlessly :P one afternoon. The muffins tasted great, which should be because they are pre-mix! Hehe…




The next I did over last weekend was baking mini-donuts. Yes, donuts can be baked and I did not know that until I saw it from the forum. The tray is an interesting one and I did not know it was meant for baking mini ones until I saw how small the tray is. Haha… In fact, was walking around the shop looking for the tray and did not find it until I asked the shop owner for it!
These are my ‘fruits’ of mini-donuts, baked and decorated! Since I made so many of them (about 42 mini-donuts), they were given to both Edy’s mum and siblings as well as my parents and siblings. *Phew* I really dread the fact that I bake and no one wants to eat! Luckily this time round, there are still people who ‘give face’… Kekeke


Well, this definitely prompted me to try out more muffins/cupcakes and do decoration on the cuppies!

The other things I would be trying to bake would be custard cream puff, egg tart (done it before but failed on the custard part), a decorated birthday cake and cuppies with decoration (hoping to do it for my darling Bevis’ 1st birthday). More to come! JOh, forgot to add that in order for my baking to be more successful, it would really be nice to have an electric oven (currently using only microwave oven with convection function) and a Kitchenaid mixer! Hahaha…

No comments: